Welcome to the Chilcompton Village web site
This web site has been produced to give visitors to the site the latest news about the village – what has happened and what is going to happen
Chilcompton Village is located in Somerset and is approximately a 30 minute drive from Bath and a 40 minute drive from Bristol. Chilcompton is located to the south of both Bristol and Bath and is located upon the B3139 road (that runs between Bath and Wells).
Are you a local, just visiting or curious about our village? Get a feel of what Chilcompton is like in the sections:
A short history of the village
Extracts from ‘Meandering through Chilcompton’ by D J Strawbridge
The village began with a cluster of houses around the Manor House and Church, which was then situated at a crossroads. Subsequent houses were erected 300 metres to the east, where another road made egress from the village easier.
More houses followed the line of that road and began to edge up Bowden Hill towards the great Western Turnpike road, which ran from east to west along the top.
A new parallel road was cut in 1835 (B3139. Bennell, Wells Road, Broadway) and more houses were soon built alongside to the extent of about one mile.
Chilcompton, Somerset is a popular village and has a population of about 2000, covers 1800 acres and has about 800 houses. It has always been a favourable place to live and work, mainly because of springs in the valley, the beginnings of the River Somer, which runs through Midsomer Norton, merging with Wellow Brook, then flows through Radstock, Wellow, Midford and into the River Avon near Limpley Stoke. There were at least three mills here using this fresh water. Work was to be found mainly on the numerous farms, the local coal mines and stone quarry and later, at the sawmills.
Recently two trading estates, a transport firm and the Mulberry Company have provided employment along with numerous small businesses. A Co-op, post office, two hairdressers, two garages and two pubs are also valued facilities.
In the 1990′s new buildings included St. Vigor and St. John Primary school, a new church hall, a surgery, an extension to the village hall (built 1981) and of course various houses and an estate of 33 dwellings on the sawmills site.
The turn of the century saw the dedication of the millennium footpath on the former railway line and the publishing of a village domesday book by the parish council.
In 2006, after some years of planning, a new recreation field at Bennell, a skate park, pavilion and multigames court were completed.